Volunteers are an important and necessary part of the Family Museum and its ability to enrich the lives of children in our community. Volunteers enhance every aspect of the Family Museum!
Benefits of Volunteering
- Free Museum Membership (after volunteering 50-100 hours)
- 10% discount in the Corner Store
- Iowa Museum Association Membership
- Recognition Events
- Reference Letters
- Flexible hours
- Learn new skills and meet new people
- Feel a sense of accomplishment
- Interact with children
- Provide a valuable service to the Museum and to the community
- Guest Services Put a smile on a child's face! Our friendly Guest Services volunteers greet visitors, answer questions, take admission, and answer phone calls. Guest Services volunteers help scan membership forms, input comment cards, and prepare birthday party materials. Our volunteers bring smiles to countless children by giving them a "hello" and "goodbye" hand stamps. Hours: We prefer a minimum of six (3 hour) volunteer shifts over a 6 month period.
- Corner Store Sales Associate Help keep us in business! We rely on our volunteers to operate our Corner Store. All profits go to support the Museum exhibits and programs, which help educate the children in our community! Our friendly Corner Store Associates assist with customer sales, create merchandise displays, organize merchandise, demonstrate products for children, clean, and answer the telephone. Hours: We prefer a minimum of six (3 hour) volunteer shifts over a 6 month period.
- Office Assistant Help keep us organized! Office Assistants help with a variety of clerical duties. Responsibilities may include assisting with mailings, preparing material for classes, restocking display racks, scanning membership forms, and clipping newspaper articles.Hours: Vary
Education and Experiences
- Play Pals Volunteer Help kids play, learn, and have fun! Play Pal volunteers assist Museum staff members with learning activities, crafts, and projects planned for Museum Drop-In experiences. Play Pals may also work independently. Volunteers should enjoy working closely with children and families. Hours: Vary
- Open Clay Studio Help children develop their artistic skills! Volunteers assist children and families in the Open Clay Studio on Saturdays and help them explore their interest in sculpting. Volunteers should enjoy working closely with children. Hours: Saturdays from 11:00 am-1:00 pm or 2:00-4:00 pm. We prefer a time commitment of at least one class, once per month.
- Summer Camps Spend your summer working with kids! Summer Camp volunteers assist Museum staff members with learning activities planned for summer camps. Volunteers should enjoy working closely with children. Hours: Weeklong camps are held in the summer. These 2-hour camps may be in the morning or afternoon.
- Special Events Volunteer Help our guests celebrate during special events! Events may include Scarecrow Shenanigans, WinterFest, Noon Year's Eve, Super Saturdays, Exhibit Openings, and more! Volunteers should enjoy working closely with the public, especially children and families. Responsibilities may include helping with event set-up, admissions, refreshments, learning activities, and tear-down. Hours: Vary
Sign Up to Be a Volunteer!
For more information about volunteering at the Family Museum, contact the Volunteer Coordinator by email or phone (563) 344-4155. You will need to fill out an application form. In addition, adults (18 and older) must complete a background check. New volunteers will attend a New Volunteer Orientation. Join our Facebook group to share information with other volunteers and stay connected to us!
Drop off your application form at the Museum or mail your application form to
2900 Learning Campus Drive