About the Family Museum
The Family Museum is a department of the City of Bettendorf, Iowa. Built in 1997, the Museum is located on Bettendorf's Learning Campus next to Faye's Field and the Bettendorf Public Library & Information Center. The Family Museum prides itself on offering unique and educational experiences for children and families. Exhibits and programs are designed for a primary audience of children eight and younger with an adult caregiver.
The Family Museum includes 44,000 square feet of programming space with a 10,400 square foot interactive exhibit hall, three multi-purpose rooms for dance instruction and performances, two preschool classrooms, two art studios, one science studio, a party room, Corner Store, and a private outdoor playground.
The Museum has hosted exciting traveling exhibits such as Hubble Space Telescope: New View of the Universe, Grossology: the Impolite Science of the Human Body, The Vision of Jim Henson, Blue Man Group: Making Waves, Bob the Builder Project:Build It, Adventures with Clifford The Big Red Dog, and Doc McStuffins: The Exhibit. In addition to exhibits, the Museum has welcomed special presentations by famed productions like Cirque du Soleil, The Tap Dogs, and presentations from Grammy nominees Justin Roberts and Trout Fishing in America.
The Family Museum's Vision
The Museum envisions a community that is increasingly vibrant, engaged, and resilient because it recognizes and develops the potential of its children.
The Family Museum’s Mission
To inspire, connect, and strengthen our community by enriching the lives of our children today and expanding their capacity to shape their future. To engage families, caregivers, and teachers with children eight years and under in active play, learning experiences, and learning environments that spark curiosity, explore interests, foster potential, and nourish a sense of belonging.
Commitments of the Family Museum
- We welcome all children, their parents, grandparents, caregivers, and teachers from cities, towns, neighborhoods, and communities across the Quad Cities.
- We create experiences that make children 8 years and under, their play, development, and creative potential visible to themselves, their families, and the community.
- We bring children and families together around shared interests and with the community, its people, and places as a backdrop for exploration and discovery.
- We participate in partnerships and networks with organizations and groups that share our interests in children's well-being and potential in order to enlarge our impact.
- We encourage all citizens to take an active interest and role in the lives of all our children.
- We advance our communities' interest in the future by facilitating public dialogue about children's well-being.
- We work together to be effective as an organization in order to serve children and the community well.
The Family Museum's mission, vision, and value statements compliment and support the over-arching direction of the City of Bettendorf, Iowa.